Founded in 1908 as First State Bank, Happy, Texas, the bank operated solely in that community during its first 81 years. In 1990, J. Pat Hickman, Chairman and CEO, led a group of investors in forming Happy Bancshares, Inc. as they purchased the bank. The generically named First State Bank changed its name to the unforgettable Happy State Bank in 2002. Today the $3.5 billion bank operates 39 branches, a loan production office, and the GoldStar Trust Co. in 30 communities with over 700 employees spread from the Texas Panhandle/South Plains to the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex.
In 2015 Happy State Bank (HSB) purchased the building at their current location, converting a portion of the third floor for commercial lending and market operations. HSB’s first retail branch bank, in the metroplex, opened March 15, 2017 on the ground floor after a complete renovation of a former Compass retail branch bank.
The design style is a nod to the character of early rural West Texas banks using rich white oak trim, furniture, and carved elements supporting a full compliment of retail bank features. Texas patriotic artworks grace the lobby and bank walls.